Saturday, July 16, 2016

It's all about doors!


As you can see, the doors are being installed and framed in. The washer and dryer now reside behind two beautiful pine doors.

[Here is this are pre remodel]

We hung a sheet across the bathroom door for privacy and it worked pretty well.
That too has been replaced.


A very special door got installed for the basement entrance. It is a spoon carved door. I have no idea how old it is, but I know that it was the front door to the farmhouse where my husband's father was born.

It is in the ... not quite finished room. The whole in the wall is going to be a dresser that is being built into the wall. 

The living room paneling is going to be pulled down and replaced by light pine beadboard. The carpet will come up and the flooring will be the same as the flooring in the room pictured below.

Behind the red door is the stairwell to the basement.
More about that and what I plan to do with it later.

The Red Door.
I had a shower curtain made from one of my favorite photos of a place called Baxter Hollow.
I felt it would look neat as a full graphic...

The photo doesn't quite do it justice, but when a person looks into the bathroom it appears as if you are peering into Otter Creek minus the sounds of the water running over the rocks of course.


Our 'front' and back doors have matching storm doors and 'disappearing' screen doors that match the barn red shakes in the peaks.


The doors are all framed in now, but I didn't have a good photo of that.

Soon we move to the stair well, where I plan on putting a finish on the railings and getting started on organizing things.

For the time being we have started to move things out of the living room area in prep for us getting ready to work in there. Boards are cut to start putting in the chair rails in the dining area.

Morris has been supervising this work.

And he is happy to have most of the living room to lounge in again.


And so we are going!

3 comments:

  1. I want your red spoon carved door! It is so gorgeous! You must be thrilled with all the changes...and so tastefully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thrilled and are looking forward to the next step!

      Delete
  2. My grandparents used to own a small house they literally called "The Little House", so this blog reminds me of that little tiny house they used to have. Of course, that house didn't look nearly as nice as yours does now, especially with that awesome looking red door. Truly the centerpiece of the house, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete