Friday, January 15, 2016

Wallpaper Removal

With the cold wicked outside weather and temps in the minus 0's, I thought I'd make an attempt at seeing just how hard removing the wallpaper would be.

I decided to try it on a wall that will be removed during the remodel.
First, I did some research on the how to aspect of removing wallpaper yourself.
The videos looked embarrassingly easy. Just hot water/Dawn mix or Vinegar/hot water...or use chemicals from Home Depot, Lowes, or some other store.

I decided not to use the chemicals.  I wouldn't be able to air out the house during the frigid weather.

So I picked a day to begin.  I quickly found that the walls were not primed underneath.  The wallpaper would not come off in beautiful long strips.
It was going to be a painful long ordeal.

First a shot of the wall.  Remember it will be removed during modeling so this was a good place to start.

And so I began.  The length of time that I worked on this actually was about and hour and a half.

But the process was slow until I began to figure out the best way for the removal. Below is a shot of the wall, and yes most of the floor tile has been removed also.



Short video:


Day two I started on the living room wall and around the doorway to the bathroom.



The small electric heater next to the bathroom was also removed.



The door frame to the bathroom had to be removed also.  In some places the wallpaper was under trim and in others it isn't.



Anyone looking at this interior and the wallpaper would agree, this little house really needs a face lift inside and outside.



This is where I stopped last night.  It looks like a mess and it looks like it was impossible work.

This section is coming off a little bit easier perhaps because I am learning to do it better as I go along.  I'm not in a mad rush and so the mess is minimal.

Crooked Creek Construction, LLC, will be doing the addition and the exterior work.  This portion of the remodel is going to be our job.

I'm actually looking forward to NOT looking at that awful wallpaper anymore!  



4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the process! You must be very excited about the upcoming changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, we are looking forward to it also!

      Delete
  2. Remodeling is always messy but so nice when finished. Keeping busy in the winter is always good too.Love your "little house".

    ReplyDelete