Monday, May 2, 2016

Thoughts on remodeling

It means change and it means a lot of adjusting for a period of time.
I think the 'digging' of the basement and the adjustment of using the 'south' door for entering and coming in has gone pretty smoothly.

My living room and other rooms have plastic totes full of stuff that I've sorted through and gotten out of the way.  The little space we had as the entry way was packed with 'stuff'.  20 years of stuff crammed into a small tiny space.  I sometimes wonder where we got all of that?

I am now faced with putting the winter garments away -- whoops?  Where? And pulling out the summer jackets.  No place to hang them at this time, so the chore boots go on a rug in front of the couch. The jackets get tossed on top of the totes.

My youngest son sent me a nice email explaining that he and his family would love to come and visit and see the construction.  I was pleasant in my reply letting him know that there was barely enough room for Rich and I to get around and we had no extra space at this time.

I'm thinking that I am probably more overwhelmed by all of the sudden changes that have happened this past week because I had an extremely heavy work schedule.  Plus Rich hadn't felt well and still doesn't feel quite up to par.

He was rather upset to come back from turning the water off/on to see that the plumber guys helped themselves to our shovels in our shed and hadn't bothered to clean them off.  
Rich is fastidious about his equipment.  Shovels are to be cleaned after each use. He is absolutely a fanatic about that.  Yet those two shovels lay against the shed entry with sand stuck to them.

He wondered why the plumbers could show up in a nice shiny truck and not have shovels when they knew they would have to use them!

It will be minor things like this that will test our patience, especially when I have to take apart the kitchen when they take down the wall that has the sink in it to extend the kitchen.  
When things get a bit overwhelming, I close my eyes and imagine how nice it will be when things are wrapped up.

And then I start to dream about how I will work on landscaping and how much I will enjoy the new space.

I guess the motto ought to be, one day at a time.


2 comments: